As some of you may know, I recently graduated from college (NBD.)
With that said, the job search, is just that, a search. A search with a bunch of tears and angst.
Because my major, Art. There really isn't much out there for me, with the major in art with an emphasis in photography.
There are some instances where I wish that I had chosen another major, other than Art. Ones where the jobs were. But I didn't know that at the time. So many people had told me to chose another major, or that being an Art major was stupid, or easy. It was neither, to me at the time. I enjoyed my time being an Art major. BUT. Now, being an art grad, with no job (that is going to pay off those WONDERFUL student loans), it is no longer easy being me.
An art grad, with no job in my field. so where do i go from here? maybe this is my launching pad. where you have to backwards to be thrown further ahead. maybe its not and God has nothing planned for me outside of Petersburg, IL. Maybe God does have something planned for me, where, I have no idea. All I know, is that right now, I'm good. I'm paying off all my bills for this month. I saved up my money to buy myself a tablet (and I LOVE IT.) so things are going good, for now.
when people told me that art jobs were low, i denied it. i said, "no, the options are endless." technically, the options are endless, it's just this: does it pay your bills? most of the answers from those "options" would be no. so i'm exploring the option of going to grad school. and no, it won't be for art. i know, it's what i have done all of my life and it's all i know. i have to know that i know something besides art and photography. so i have to prove this to myself, that i'm capable of doing something besides photography. i love photography with all of my heart, but the business is not booming, like i thought it would be. if i do go to grad school (if they even let me in), it would be for communications, public relations, or something of that sorts. i'm going where the jobs are. and that usually doesn't include art. my dreams and reality are not matching up right now. and i need to be woken up from my dreams, because, my dreams can be fatal.
i'm not saying 'don't be an art major." do whatever you want, just don't be oblivious like me. look on websites for job postings and see what is out there. you never know, you may like Human Resources better than art. you can always be artistic without an art degree.
i bought the most expensive piece of paper, it took me four years to get it, and now, i'm broke. join the club.
i know i'm not alone. i'm not asking for sympathy. i'm asking for you to laugh with me. laugh at my mistakes, cause i sure am. i don't regret going to school, i just regret in the choosing of my major. be smarter than me, do your research before you graduate. because i am just now starting to research the idea of going somewhere besides photography. no, i am not going to stop taking pictures, it just wont be my main focus. i have no idea where my future is going, but at the same time, do you? do you know where your future is taking you?
the answer is usually no. because no one has life figured out. and if someone is telling you that they do, they are LYING. liar. liar.
yes, lying.
maybe God has a place saved up for me Chicago and I'm just not ready for it yet. I wanna say that I'm ready to live on my own and that i am ready for whatever is coming my way, but i know i'm not. i know i will get there, someday. hopefully. i can't live with my parents forever. (dear god, please. i can NOT live with them forever.)
so, for now, i will work my two part time jobs. i will continue to look for jobs in a bigger city than good ol' petersburg, i will pray for something, because i have no idea. i will pay my bills. i will dance in the rain, because who doesn't? i will live my life.
i'm not making any real promises besides the obvious, because we both know that i'm not going to start running or get a better eating plan anytime soon. so, i will do the best i can.
that is all, for now.
--the girl with the bird tattoo.